[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 30 17:14:37 CEST 2006

* Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [060830 14:24]:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 11:31:23PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [060829 23:06]:
> > > Yes, he is. This has the potential to get quite a lot of people started
> > > and getting any output at all is a major motivation factor even if the
> > > rest of the code for bringup has yet to be written.
>
> That's a great idea! I figure it should be possible to create a
> repository of some sort which contains such ROM images.
> That eliminates the need to understand the build process and compile
> stuff, which will lower the entry bar for a few people and might get
> them interested in the project.

ok, lets think this further: You get a LinuxBIOS-string on serial and
then you do _what_ with that image? Have a shell? Torsten Duwe's serial
loader or llshell might be candidates here.

> As for the Super IOs I'd use another approach; simply download all
> datasheets you can get your hands on and add support for the respective
> part (which is what I'm doing with the ITEs; when Im done I'll probably
> continue with Winbond).

After my last mail, thinking about it,... how many vendors are we
talking about here,..? and how many chips per vendor?
It might indeed be a pretty good idea to exhaust the space just to get
some ground. SuperIOs age less than southbridges, do they?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613