[LinuxBIOS] flashrom, uniflash.

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Aug 31 23:55:32 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 07:54:55PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> While I think it is a great opportunity to be a cheap date, you do risk
> messing up the hardware physically if you swap very often.
>
> And this is exactly the thing that keeps people from "playing around"
> with LinuxBIOS as they do with other software projects...

Yes, sure it's a bit more risky to play with important hardware parts;
that's why I think we need to support lots of older boards, chips, etc.
which people are willing to play with and/or can easily and cheaply get
from flea markets, ebay etc.

Another important issue is that flashrom should support many, many chips
and baords, as few people will be willing to buy expensive hardware just
for flashing.

There's Uniflash, but that has the problem of being Pascal+DOS,
currently. I tried for a few minutes to build it with GNU Pascal or
FreePascal, but that didn't work easily (needs more work, maybe).
Has anybody else managed to build it for Linux?

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de