[LinuxBIOS] #57: libusb host program for PLX NET20DC debug device

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Dec 1 19:31:53 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:14:46AM -0800, Lu, Yinghai wrote:
> To my understanding, You don't need to waiting for Eric's code.

I can rewrite code to do the same, but if he has working
proof-of-concept there's no point in duplicating work.

> You can use the cable on two system without debug port support.

Not true, unfortunately.

The target end of the debug device is special, it only works when
connected to a USB port that operates in debug mode. It doesn't even
enumerate (not seen in lsusb) if connected to a port controlled by a
full USB stack.

> So just extend the program to make it can write the data too.

I have ordered a debug device since I am expecting that my code will
need, eh, testing.

Code to drive the target end of the device would be nice to have in
the program but since it requires direct PCI access I think it is
best placed in a kernel module.

It could provide a simple character device, nothing fancy needed,
just echo or cat.

//Peter