[LinuxBIOS] Support for recent chipset and powerful desktop CPU

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Sat Dec 2 05:19:50 CET 2006

On 11/30/06, Simon Labrecque <agarwal at videotron.ca> wrote:

> The problem with the MSI K9N is that the Northbridge's passive cooler is
> said to get very, VERY hot, which might be problematic in our application as
> noise (and therefore airflow) needs to be minimized.
>
> I haven't tested it personally though, but every review I read on the K9N
> seems to mention the heat issue. That's why I liked the Abit board in the
> first place; passively cooled, but with heat pipes and an easy way out for
> the heat.

I have my ms7260 v1.0 (AKA MSI K9N Neo-f) in-hand, and I can verify
that the northbridge is literally painfully hot.  The good news is the
heatsink itself is quite large, and there's a 3-prong header marked
"NBFAN" directly adjacent.

Either a small fan attached to the stock heatsink or a large
replacement passive heatsink ought to do the trick nicely.  Close-up
pictures are available upon request «grin».

Regards,
-dhbarr.