[LinuxBIOS] Intel 815

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Sat Dec 2 21:04:17 CET 2006

Shaddam Corrino IV wrote:

> I had a closer look at this i815 platform
>
> it contains :
>
> FW82815
> FW82801BA
> SST49LF004A, which seems to be 512KiB flash
>
> Unfortunatelly, it seems that the above flash is soldered to the MBO :-(

This is the case with the D815EEA, but other motherboards (probably not
from intel) may have removable flash.  I'm not really concerned with
this, I ordered an extra plcc socket and a couple flash chips for this
board when I ordered the flash chips for the athlon, and I don't think
I'll have any problem with the sodiering process. If you've never used a
sodiering iron before though, you might want to see if you can find
someone to do it for you.

> Does it mean there's no way I can use the system for L/B or is there
> some inexpensive way to correct this deficiency?
>
> Not sure if that's a good price, but you can get complete 1 GHZ i815
> systems (ie ready for use desktop) here for about $65.

That's about what I paid for mine, just for the 1ghz cpu and mobo, then
another $40 for 512mb PC133 and an asus P2-99 (440zx), and case/power
supply/hard drive/cdrom from my collection. I've been following the
discussion about i855 support, and that honestly has me concerned. This,
if i remember right, was the first (well, second, but afaik it's just
i810+graphics) desktop chipset intel made after ending the 440 line, so
I don't know how good the docs will be (ie did intel decide to go into
lockdown yet or no?), and if they suck royally, I probably won't bother
messing around with this.

-Corey

Oops, forgot to cc the mailing list!