[LinuxBIOS] C3 Lightning Talk abstract

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:28:41 CET 2006

Peter Stuge wrote:

> * Mention OLPC. (But what are the important points?)

Flexibility.   OLPC would have had a _much_ more difficult time getting
things done if it was not using LinuxBIOS.  We have had to do some
pretty custom work under the hood.

Size is another big issue.  It interesting to note that code for the
(8051 microcontroller) EC is *larger* than the LinuxBIOS code and thats
even with romcc generating the LB code.

Of course thats without a payload but an interesting data point.

> * Show a demo.

I think for a demo you want to show LaB (Linux as Bootloader, where
linux is in the ROM) and boot linux directly to a shell prompt, as fast
as you can make it.  Thats a short, powerful demo.

--
Richard A. Smith