[LinuxBIOS] C3 Lightning Talk abstract

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 19:02:16 CET 2006

Forgot to copy the list:

Uwe Hermann wrote:

> Interesting. How does that work and on which level. (hardware?
> software?).

Both.  There is a latch that controls the write line to the SPI flash
chip.  After looking in a special place for updates it will clear that
latch and it can only be set again by a hard reset.

Each BIOS update is signed with either the master OLPC key or a
developer key unique to that person that will be issued to people by
request.

The BIOS will refuse to update unless the key is verified.

Or you have to remove the SPI chip or reprogram it out of band.

> Is there some documentation about this?

There was a long thread many months ago on the olpc devel list and
lwn.net did an article but thats about it.  Its still in the works.
Most of the crypto code has landed in the repository and should start
seeing some testing around BTest 3. But I'm not sure of the exact
timeframe yet.

--
Richard A. Smith