[LinuxBIOS] development board

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 17:44:44 CET 2006

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 02:04:59PM -0800, Tyler Pohl wrote:
>> I am looking to buy what ever it is I need so I can just step through
>> LinuxBios code on a separate machine.  For example I have a 8051 micro
>> controller board and I can download code to its flash via serial and
>> step through the code one line at a time.  Is there anything out
>> there so I can do this with LinuxBios?
>
> Sure, but I guess an ICE/ICD (In-Circuit-Emulator/Debugger) for a
> modern CPU will cost a couple of hundred thousand dollars.

For a modern processor, "ICE" means something different than what you
are thinking of. NO one debugs with a true "ICE" any more, everyone uses
JTAG. JTAG debuggers are cheaper now:

http://www.macraigor.com/raven.htm

is a commercial product that works with K8 series processors. It is $750.

You can see the coverage map at:

http://www.macraigor.com/cpus.htm

American Arium also sells ITP for lots of processors:

http://www.arium.com/products/hwdebugtools.html

They don't have quotes on their website, but you can probably get one
for a couple of thousand dollars.

FS2 is the JTAG ICE supplier for Geode GX and LX, it is available for a
similar price.

Adding to Ron's homebrew stuff:

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=DLP-2232M-G

is a $35 board that very easily talks JTAG from USB.