[LinuxBIOS] Purpose of Acked-by

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Dec 11 17:32:39 CET 2006

* Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel.crashing.org> [061211 17:13]:
> Oh, I fully understand why patches should be reviewed by
> other people, and why someone "senior" should approve
> patches before they are committed to the SVN tree.
>
> I'm just challenging the usefulness of the Acked-by tag
> in the commit message.

Oh this is simple: The commit message is used as the interface to
the subversion server. There is no other way of easily handling a
successful review on basis of commit hooks.

The whole magic behind these rules is that they're _automatically
enforced.

> As soon as abuild works for everyone, this should be made
> a requirement.  Even now already, we should encourage people
> to say with their patch submissions "abuild ran with no new
> failures" or similar.

abuild runs great. I have not seen any bug reports in a whole
while. And I am sure no developer is overstrained by running a
bash shell script. Having people explicitly state they ran abuild
could do some of the trick.

> 5) Emergency fixes.  Hopefully never needed and better discussed
> widely before committing.  This should really just be treated as
> an exception outside of the normal framework I guess.

This is a hot topic. What would qualify as such an emergency?

> 6) Revert of one's own recent commits, if problems show up after
> the fact.

Ack.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613