[LinuxBIOS] Purpose of Acked-by

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Dec 11 18:07:56 CET 2006

>> I'm just challenging the usefulness of the Acked-by tag
>> in the commit message.
>
> Oh this is simple: The commit message is used as the interface to
> the subversion server. There is no other way of easily handling a
> successful review on basis of commit hooks.

Ah okay, got it.

>> As soon as abuild works for everyone, this should be made
>> a requirement.  Even now already, we should encourage people
>> to say with their patch submissions "abuild ran with no new
>> failures" or similar.
>
> abuild runs great. I have not seen any bug reports in a whole
> while.

It won't do crossbuilds still no?

>> 5) Emergency fixes.  Hopefully never needed and better discussed
>> widely before committing.  This should really just be treated as
>> an exception outside of the normal framework I guess.
>
> This is a hot topic. What would qualify as such an emergency?

Dunno.  Something exceptional.  A high-profile security
issue or a "brick everything!" bug or something.  Something
insanely important to fix _right now_.

There's no need to have any protocol for this, or document
it in the check-in rules; just as long as the automated
tools don't stand in the way in such a case all is fine :-)

Segher