[LinuxBIOS] Crazy idea? LinuxBios+Suspend 2

Guido Fiala gfiala at s.netic.de
Mon Dec 11 19:57:13 CET 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 18:57, Adam Talbot wrote:
> Forget the nice way
> that suspens2 works, by only pulling the used RAM to the suspend image;

I always hated the silly way windows works on hibernation - at least you can
use a list of used pages and just write them out to speed it up, eventually
even use a fast compression algorithm for easy to compress pages or similar
ideas.

At least Windows takes longer to boot from disk image (for large RAM as today)
than normal boot, no gain there - would that be better for LinuxBios? I doubt
it.

So what is so great to not boot from swap-image?

Wouldn't it be easier to patch filo to be able to boot the swap than to
reprogram suspend2 ?

BTW - i thought suspend2 can also boot from a file instead of swap?

But i'am curious what timing one could expect when using suspend2 and
LinuxBios, the time to graphical interface wouldn't be much longer than to
console - just the time to swap in the X-server, i guess?