[LinuxBIOS] #70: fix util/getpir so that the output will compile

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Wed Dec 20 03:40:02 CET 2006

Li-Ta Lo wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 17:17 -0500, Jon Dufresne wrote:
>> In that case this utility program is very misleading, at least to me.
>> Perhaps a large comment should be added to the .c file that either
>> gives a warning that it is incomplete or tips on what to add.
>>

> There is no way for the utility to know if it is generating something
> useful. There is zero intelligence in the utility and it just dumps
> whatever it is in the memory in a human and compiler readable form.
> This is a totally use at your own risk thing.
>
> Ollie

So, how exactly do you know if it works or not, just try it? And if it
fails, how do you make it "just work", is there some method for figuring
out where it goes wrong? And finally, would disabling ACPI from the
factory BIOS (if there is such an option) help this?

Also, hate to hijack this, but I just noticed something from my work on
the FIC SD11, in my irq_tables.c (generated by get_pir.c), it set the
device ID of the southbridge (via vt686a) to 0x586, when it should have
been 0x0686, according to everything I know about this board (manuals,
lspci, etc). Is there some known bug in get_pir.c that could have caused
this (perhaps when dealing with a PCI ID beginning with 0)? I've given
up on that particular board, because slot a cpus are so rare these days,
but the tyan s2507 (my next target) uses a chip with the same PCI ID.
I'll test the script on that once I get done recompiling the entire
system (god bless gentoo).

-Corey