[LinuxBIOS] power on via usb

Shaddam Corrino IV shaddamcorrinoiv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:41:31 CET 2006

On 12/22/06, Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 04:21:18PM +0100, Shaddam Corrino IV wrote:
> > However, I think that 2nd and subsequent soft power off/on cycles
> > would work if the system would be put in stand-by mode in the right
> > way.
>
> If the system is suspended it is not power on, but resume or wakeup.
>
> Wake-on-USB could be done just as Wake-on-LAN but it would trigger
> pretty often since USB host controllers are very thin devices, as
> opposed to a network controller.

I found out that the "apmsleep -s 00:01" (with little 's') does not wake up
on either network or  usb. However, "apmsleep -S 00:01" does almost what I
want. The apmsleep with big S does not seem to shut down hdd, but I can do
that using hdparm.

I have problem since the "apmsleep" with big S does not only wake up
(correctly) on USB, but also on broadcast network packets! Disabling "wake
up on network"  in BIOS won't help, nor ethtool

# ethtool -s eth0 wol g
Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
  not setting wol
# dmesg | grep eth
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at ca812000, 00:A0:CC:62:2B:2A, IRQ 10.

Argh!

--
Thanks!
Shaddam IV