[LinuxBIOS] USB Support <WAS Re: Accessibility of LinuxBios>

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Jul 3 02:40:32 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> [060703 01:26]:
>
>>> Maybe this code could be encapsulated, similar to how VGA
>>> bios or network boot is handled.
>>>
>> Indeed, except that it relies on serial or USB support, which might not
>> be easy to ship in a so encapsulated way.
>>

> Serial support is easy. USB is more of a problem as it needs a complete
> usb stack at bios time.

I remember discussing with the LinuxBIOS list a year or two ago, the
issue of what to do when chipsets drop having any serial ports.

We are currently working on mainboard designs that will not have any
serial ports with chipsets that don't have any serial ports. What did we
decide to do with LinuxBIOS, since the future is now?

-Bari