[LinuxBIOS] Accessibility of LinuxBios

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 5 17:06:31 CEST 2006

Samuel Thibault wrote:

>>I think first it would be helpful to have bios access from the console
>>with a small tool to adjust bios settings like
>>boot from CD or enable/disable hardware
>>
>>maybe there is already a way to do this
>

> This is another interesting approach indeed, which might interest many
> more people.
>
> Samuel

I think the right way to do this, as always, is to make linux the thing
you interface with at power-on or reset, and you load Linux from FLASH
from. Most BIOSes are bad OS designs -- for the latest bad design, read
the EFI manual, and reflect on the fact that it does far less than Unix
V6 did 30 years ago, and somehow manages to do a lot less in 1400 pages
of documentation. But with Linux as the BIOS, you've got a good OS as
your bios, and you can do all kinds of neat things.

ron