[LinuxBIOS] how to use ramdisk as rootfs

zhu shi song zhushisongzhu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 12:04:43 CEST 2006

I must concern two requirements:
(1) I boot my linux from IDE CF card whose capacity is
no more than 128M Bytes.
(2) my ram is large enough(above 1G) for the size of
the whole root file system.
  In the past ,when I use linux-2.4 kernel, I use
initrd-dyn method and can use one tar.gz file just
like initrd transferred to kernel as parameter. The
kernel can uncompress the tar.gz file and mount it on
ramdisk as rootfs.  Unfortunately, initrd-dyn can't
support linux-2.6 kernel.  Can I convert my tar.gz
file to cpio format as initramfs and make kernel
uncompress it and mount it as rootfs on ramdisk
automatically?  I'm not so familiar with either initrd
or initramfs, where can I find more and clear info
about these topics?
  tks
  zhu