[LinuxBIOS] how to use ramdisk as rootfs

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Jul 10 20:25:42 CEST 2006

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> Richard Smith wrote:
>>>support linux-2.6 kernel.  Can I convert my tar.gz
>>>file to cpio format as initramfs and make kernel
>>>uncompress it and mount it as rootfs on ramdisk
>>>automatically?  I'm not so familiar with either initrd
>>>or initramfs, where can I find more and clear info
>>>about these topics?
>>

>> There is a little bit of info about initramfs in the kernel tree.
>>
>> /Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt
>>

> I don't recommend initramfs -- just make a cpio initrd. Current
> initramfs support is bug-ridden.

To be clear a cpio format initrd is referred to as an initramfs.  There
are no real implementation differences between the in kernel and
initrd styles the only question is where does the cpio archive come
from, and how is the cpio archive built.

Since the in kernel cpio archive builder has issues it does make sense
to avoid it.

Eric