[LinuxBIOS] GA-6BXC support

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Jul 20 01:51:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 04:14:00PM -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
> That was all done for the Bitworks/IMS board which was a custom board
> we made but its essentially a stock 440bx reference design.  So I
> suggest you start there.    Its been a _long_ while since I've looked
> at the code but I'll try to help.

OK, so I've installed a Linux on the computer, and fixed some unrelated
hardware issues. Then, I burnt my first BIOS, in the truest sense of the
word. I practised removing and inserting the BIOS chip a few times
yesterday, and it seems I inserted it the wrong way the last time before
I went to bed (I _do_ know how to insert it correctly, usually).

Today I started the PC in order to install the LinuxBIOS software and
tools, but nothing happened. Soon I noticed that the BIOS was pretty
darn hot, the label on the BIOS was literally melting. Yay!

I have ordered a replacement BIOS. I hope that's the only part that
died and the rest of the board is ok.

> I still have the hardware though and I'd love to have to work on V2.
> There are lots of 440bx boards out there. I just don't have the time.
> I'll send you the patches if you want to play with them.

Yes, please do. It'll probably take a while until I get v1, then v2,
working, though.

I have a W49F002U and a AM-29F040B chip to work with. Both seem to be
supported, and both are rewritable (so I can flash them multiple times),
correct?

I also have a 32pin ZIF socket, but I'm afraid it's useless for this
board. It's bigger than the BIOS chip, and the space is so limited,
I'd have to rip away 2-3 PCI sockets and other mainboard parts to
be able to insert it.
So I'll probably try without the ZIF socket, and pray that I don't
get fried in the process ;)

Cheers, Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann