[LinuxBIOS] i440bx SPD reads are now functional

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 02:33:26 CEST 2006

With all the interest in the i440bx I pulled out my old hardware and
debugged the SMbus reads.

I can now dump the contents of the SPD on my RAM.  Yah!!  Only took a
year or so.

Hopefully the rest can knock out pretty quickly.  I'll do some more
work tomorrow.

I have discoverd a some _very_ frustrating issues.  And I believe I've
reported one of these before.

Issue 1:

The dependency chain of the builds is not correct.  I spent close to 2
hours trying to figure out why my code was not working when the
problem was that my code was not getting recompiled by romcc.

The SPD code is done in a header file.  Pehaps this was the 1st
mistake but I copied it from the way another project did it.

If you make changes to that header file they are not picked up
properly.  So some work on dependency info may be in order.

Issue 2:

The build output of LinxBIOS is _way_ too noisy.  Its extremely
difficult to try and see if the code you are working on actually got
recompiled.

We need to work on reducing the noise level.

--
Richard A. Smith