[LinuxBIOS] i440bx SPD reads are now functional

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Jul 31 11:16:55 CEST 2006

* Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> [060731 05:46]:
> >Can those be evaluated by the python config script during creation of
> >the script? or into an extra file "dynamic_options.h" during build time?
>
> Probably but I still need some sort of marker that indicates that this
> particular variable needs post processing.  All the variables are in 2
> lists and the current code just iterates the list kicking them out.
> But now we have to be a bit smarter about what variable is what.

Wow. great idea! The complexity this might introduce scares me a bit
though.

I think this can be made totally simple and stupid.

dogma 1: build environment is not a linuxbios _configuration_ issue.
dogma 2: linuxbios configuration variables can not use shell at all.

> >I guess you are talking about
> >
> >- gcc version
> >- assembler version
> >- ld version
> >- build time
> >
> >did i miss anything?
>
> export ARCH:=i386

Where's the problem with ARCH?

> export CROSS_COMPILE:=
> export CC:=$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -m32
> export HOSTCC:=gcc
> export OBJCOPY:=$(CROSS_COMPILE)objcopy --gap-fill 0xff

> All of these need to be quoted at minimum to not cause compile errors.
>  OBJCOPY needs to continue to get stuck into the makefile properly.

But none of them is needed within the code of LinuxBIOS, only in the
Makefile. I would suggest completely taking them out of the
configuration part and put them into the Makefile only.

Like other projects do this, if someone wants another compiler, it can
be overridden when calling make. But this should be nothing for
LinuxBIOS to care about internally. Nor?

  Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613