[LinuxBIOS] MB1030 / 3036 VGA comes up :D

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed May 3 13:12:01 CEST 2006

* Christian Sühs <chris at suehsi.de> [060503 14:17]:
> >>copying LB to RAM seems to be very slow ?!
>
> takes about 3 - 4 seconds for the 256k image

> >>after boot, uncompressing the kernel is much slower as under factory bios.

> >How many megabytes in how many seconds? is it compressed?
>
> Its done in 8 - 9 seconds. kernel is 700k big.
> Well, it is a bzImage and should be compressed.

Ok, all this sounds as if all memory as such is either not cacheable
or cache is deactivated.

Questions to solve:

 * Are there mechanisms specific to the GX1 that are not required on
   other systems to enable cache?

 * Are the MTRRs set correctly?

 * Does this occur on other GX1 boards as well, but was not detected so
   far?

 * If yes, whats the difference to LinuxBIOSv1 here, because I seem to
   remember we did not have such a problem back then.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613