[LinuxBIOS] WRITE FROM COLOMBIA

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:00:50 CEST 2006

On 5/4/06, MIJAIL <mirskid at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI...
> SORRY BY MY ENGLISH

Your english is fine.  Your choice of ALL UPPERCASE however could use
a bit of tweaking. *grin*

> MY QUESTION ARE:
> 1. WHEN I UPDATE MY MOTHERBOARD BIOS WITH LINUXBIOS (MAKE IN A FLASH BIOS)I
> HAVE A RISK TO NEVER WORK AGAIN MY BOARD??

Yes and no.  If the ROM chip on the board is not removeable then if
the re-program does not go well or linuxbios dosen' work then yes you
now have a brick.  If you can remove the chip then you can reprogram
back with the factory or a new version of linuxbios.

> 2. WHEN I UPDATE MY MOTHERBOARD BIOS WITH LINUXBIOS I NEED ALSO INTAL THE
> BPROC PROGRAM??

Yes. LinuxBIOS and bproc are completely different.

> 3. IF I HAVE INSTALED DEBIAN AND I WANT INSTAL LINUXBIOS THE INFORMATION AND
> SISTEM WILL BE LOST??

If you are asking if you will have to Re-install Debian then no.  But
LinuxBIOS will use a different bootloader so the boot process is
slightly different.

> 4. IF I HAVE MANY OLD PC'S...(LIKE PENTIUM III) WHITH PROCESOR, RAM, WITHOUT
> HARD DRIVE, CAN I INSTAL LINUX BIOS?

If the chipset is supported then yes.  Very few of the older chipsets
are supported.  We would need an lspci of the system to know if the
chipset is supported.

> 5. HOW I TO FORM THE IP ADRESS IN THE BIOS TO MAKE THE MACHINE ABLE TO USE
> IN MY LAN??

I think what you want is etherboot.  http://etherboot.org.  LinuxBIOS
can load etherboot as a payload.

The linuxbios page,  http://linuxbios.org has lots of useful info.