[LinuxBIOS] Problem with flashrom -E -c W49F002U

Per Mellander per at mellander.org
Wed May 31 09:44:33 CEST 2006

I'm experiencing problem with the flashrom utility. I have a BIOS SAVIOUR RD1-PL, and at
start it worked quite alright. I was able to flash the prom that's located on the RD1
and tried different settings in my LinuxBIOS. I was on the other hand not able to read
the contents out of the original BIOS because it was not detected properly. I have an
EPIA-MII 12000 with BIOS ver 1.35 ( bought it recently so it's quite new. ) The fact
that I couldn't read the original BIOS didn't on the other hand keep me from flashing
the part on the RD1.

The big problem now is that I'm not able to erase the flash anymore, making it quite
hard to continue developing my LinuxBIOS.

# flashrom -E'

Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on VT8235...OK
W49F002U found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is W49F002U
Erasing flash chip

but when I read it back it's not empty.

# flashrom -r test.bin
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on VT8235...OK
W49F002U found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is W49F002U
Reading Flash...done

# hexdump test.bin | head -1
0000000 aa55 e970 7ffc 1b8b de34 83ca 0000 0000

# flashrom -E -V

Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
170M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on VT8235...OK
Trying Am29F040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying Am29F016D, 2048 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying At29C040A, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying Mx29f002, 256 KB
probe_29f002: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying SST29EE020A, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying SST28SF040A, 512 KB
probe_28sf040: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST39SF020A, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying SST39VF020, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying SST49LF040B, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF040, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF080A, 1024 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF002A/B, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying SST49LF003A/B, 384 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF004A/B, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF008A, 1024 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying Pm49FL004, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying W29C011, 128 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xda, id2 0xb
Trying W29C020C, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x55, id2 0xaa
Trying W49F002U, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x55, id2 0xaa
Trying W39V040A, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying M29F040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying M29F400BT, 512 KB
probe_m29f400bt: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying 82802ab, 512 KB
probe_82802ab: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying 82802ac, 1024 KB
probe_82802ab: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying LHF00L04, 1024 KB
probe_lhf00l04: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
No EEPROM/flash device found.

which I find quite peculiar.

Why don't I get a success only because I've put on '-V'?

So I tried:

# flashrom -E -V -c W49F002U
Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
170M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on VT8235...OK
Trying W49F002U, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x55, id2 0xaa
No EEPROM/flash device found.

Still the same problem!

Anyone that's have a hint why? I remember that when I started using the RD1-PL I noticed
that if I did a 'verify' after 'write' it said that it didn't match. On the other hand
was it the first time I flashed the device and if i read the flash I could see that it
had been flashed by doing a 'hexdump -C' and verify it by looking for the string section .

# hexdump -C test.bin | grep Linux | head -1
0001a800  00 4c 69 6e 75 78 42 49  4f 53 00 41 74 74 65 6d  |.LinuxBIOS.Attem|

My hair turns grey...