[LinuxBIOS] Patch for vmlinux amd64 with mkelfImage

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sun Nov 5 03:46:56 CET 2006

yhlu <yinghailu at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/4/06, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Then you will need 64bit boot loader.
>>
>> If you are booting vmlinux yes.
>
> Wow? what happened?

Nothing.  That is just where it looks like vmlinux on x86_64 is going.
There are two separate conversations to take it there.

>> > Or can I use entrypoint for start64-0x100 to get the address for start32
>>
>> Nope.  The code will go 64bit in the decompresser.
>
> vmlinux should not include decompressor. or vmlinux will become vmlinuz?

The standard thing to boot is bzImage.

Like I said the 32bit entry point is really not supported for vmlinux on x86_64
please don't count on it being there.

bzImage will shortly also become ELF but that is another story...

Eric