[LinuxBIOS] coding style: goto good or bad?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Nov 17 01:41:06 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:45:02PM +0100, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:37:36AM +0100, Giampiero Giancipoli wrote:
> > + 		goto retry;
>
> Um, do we really want to use GOTOs in userland code?

goto can be good. I was allergic to goto for many years but then I
found my cluestick; I really like having fewer indent steps and to
use goto for forward references and/or error handling. I think it
makes code much simpler to read.

Of course the unexperienced programmer will not intuitively know when
to avoid goto and when to use them, but I don't think very many work
on this project and when they want to we'll just show them how to do
it right. :)

//Peter