[LinuxBIOS] Intel 440bx

Shaddam Corrino IV shaddamcorrinoiv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:26:02 CET 2006

On 11/21/06, Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> wrote:

> > They have one week warrany on them so I would like to test them if
> > they are free of errors even if the 440bx is not ready for prime
> > time. Is there some easy way to do this?

> But you can test that they actually work right now.
> 1. Boot your system with the normal BIOS.
> 2. Run: flashrom -r original.bin
> 3. Email original.bin to self.
> 4. Remove your original flash chip while the board is powered. Put
>    one of the new chips in. Observe polarity! There's a notch on one
>    end of the package.
> 5. Run: flashrom -wv original.bin
> 6. If the write+verify works you should be able to reboot with the
>    new chip working as your BIOS.

Well both chips failed verify. Read and Erase seems to work fine, yet verify
seems to fail at the same place for both chips 0x2f. Doing less on written
binary it seems that there are areas that were left zeroed, and unwritten.
For both chips pattern seems to be the same.

Do I blame eeprom and return them or problem is elsewhere?

./flashrom -r ATC-6220.Award.1-1-03-WB.orig.bin
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on PIIX4/PIIX4E/PIIX4M...OK
W29C020C found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is W29C020C (256 KB)
Reading Flash...done

[please cc]
--