[LinuxBIOS] asus A8N-VM CSM

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri Oct 13 20:37:36 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 08:24:55PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> [061013 20:05]:
> > I've read both the original flash image and the bios-savior one. Reading is
> > *very* fast, not more than 2 seconds for the 512KB image.
>
> That sounds fine.
>
> > I've also tried burning the original image (read via flashrom) to the bios
> > savior, but that failed:
>
> > # ./flashrom -v -w orig.img
> > Calibrating delay loop... ok
> > No LinuxBIOS table found.
> > Enabling flash write on NVidia MCP51...OK
> > Pm49FL004 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
> > Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB)
> > Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
> > Programming Page: 0007 at address: 0x00070000
> > Verifying flash - FAILED
>
> can you do a -Vv to find out where it fails? And try writing several
> times, then verifying to see if that helps...

# ./flashrom -Vv -w orig.img
Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
601M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Enabling flash write on NVidia MCP51...OK
Trying Am29F040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying Am29F016D, 2048 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying At29C040A, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying Mx29f002, 256 KB
probe_29f002: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST29EE020A, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST28SF040A, 512 KB
probe_28sf040: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST39SF010A, 128 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST39SF020A, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST39SF040, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST39VF020, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF040B, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF040, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF020A, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF080A, 1024 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying SST49LF002A/B, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF003A/B, 384 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF004A/B, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying SST49LF008A, 1024 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Trying Pm49FL002, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Trying Pm49FL004, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Pm49FL004 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB)
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Programming Page: 0007 at address: 0x00070000
Verifying flash address: 0x00000008 - FAILED

Tried it a couple of times, same problem each time.

> Can you also try and check whether there's something else then 0xff in
> the addresses that failed?

How do I do that?

> > Writing was *very* slow - it took wel over a minute before it was done.
>
> This is ugly, but probably not unusually slow.  :(

OK :) No big deal, really.

Thanks,
Ward.

--