[LinuxBIOS] Support for Abit AV8? Suggestion for AM2 board?

Dan Armak danarmak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 23:57:24 CEST 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 21:35, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> > I'm really not sure about the BIOS chip. There's a chip that _might_ be
> > the BIOS (it has an Abit mGURU sticker on it). It's square, soldered
> > directly to the motherboard, and has >10 thin legs on each of the four
> > sides. According to your FAQ that probably makes it a PLCC but I'm really
> > not qualified to judge this.
>
> It's quite probably a PLCC, most newer boards use PLCC.
>
> The image on the URL you posted suggests that it's _not_ soldered on,
> i.e. it's in a socket (it's the chip left from the battery).
I was talking about the smaller chip to the left and slightly above of the
chip you're talking about. But I don't really know which is the BIOS. Anyway,
I don't have the equipment to flash a removable chip :-)

> > I'm also looking to build a new system soon. What motherboards are known
> > to work with LinuxBIOS that have: socket AM2, PCI express, no embedded
> > video unless it's got free drivers?
>
> Someone else has to answer this question. But please also see
> http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-October/016268.html
It'd be nice if someone could name a few known-good boards.

The post you linked to lists these supported chipsets: AMD8111, CK804, HT1000.
As far as I can make out (with google), the first two are socket 940 chipsets
and all three are used with server boards. I don't want anything as expensive
as that...

Then there's MCP55 = nforce 5xx, which looks OK. The post says: support will
be released some time. What is the status of MCP55 support? Does it make a
difference which particular MCP55 variation I buy (MCP55P SLI, MCP55 Ultra,
MCP55S) and which particular nforce 5xx chip, or are they all the same for
LinuxBIOS?

Dan Armak