[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Sep 1 01:20:50 CEST 2006

* Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [060901 00:11]:
> Ideally, both. I guess the corporate contributors will continue to
> (mainly) support boards they have use-cases for (which makes sense from an
> economical point of view).
>
> For cheap, old, or mainstream boards you can buy in your favorite
> computer shop, ebay etc. random interested contributors/coders are
> important, IMHO. Given enough such contributors and enough popularity of
> the project among hacker-type Free Software users/programmers it won't
> take too long to have support for a good bunch of popular boards.

time is playing with us. The north and south bridges that are expensive,
fast and modern today will be old and cheap tomorrow, so when K8 et al
see a successor, we might automatically our potential userbase might
automatically become broader.

Notice that at the moment on K8 all server chipsets are supported but
none of the consumer chipsets (Via, ATI, some NVidia hw).

> ACK. Although I don't think putting effort into "the latest and greatest"
> is a problem, it's just that the older stuff should be worked on, too.

In the old Amiga games scene there is a concept called abandonware.
If the technology does not make a "unique selling point" for the vendor
anymore, it is released to the public for the sake of the community.

Is this a concept that hw vendors on this list could life with?

Regards,
Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613