[LinuxBIOS] flashrom, uniflash.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Sep 1 02:52:52 CEST 2006

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [060901 02:07]:
> Most PC BIOSes have a flash program in ROM, so x86emu won't help us
> much. The 16bit BIOS calls are just calls to that flash program.

Except Asus:

Not really a flash program but functions to enable / disable write
protection of the bios chips and address spaces. There's an AWDFLASH
structure that points into this. I reverse engineered this many years
ago until I found out that I want to support hardware that is supported
by its vendor.

> I know for sure that all recent Asus boards have awdflash or similar
> in their ROM image.

Thats definitely not what the user land bios flashers like uniflash use.
it seems they want to get rid of bios updates while the os is running
completely. Not dumb, really.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613