[LinuxBIOS] Desktop computer use?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Sep 8 19:07:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:06:22PM -0700, Bario wrote:
> I'm curious about a few things about LinuxBIOS. First
> off, is LinuxBIOS usable (or intended to be) in a
> standard desktop environment, or aimed solely at
> embedded/cluster application?

Yes, it's usable on desktops too. I think the main focus
of most developers is currently cluster-related stuff,
though (please correct me if I'm wrong).

> I'm looking to use linuxbios on an intel bi440zx, a P3
> mobo with a 440zx chipset. I'm wondering if anyone has
> worked on support for this motherboard, or even this
> chipset, or if the code for the 440BX chipset works as
> a drop-in replacement.

The 440BX code is not yet fully working AFAIK, but work
is being done to improve things. I have a similar board
and will probably help testing, maybe coding...

> Super I/O: I think this is the right chip: SMSC
> FDC37B807

I'll take care of that, there's a datasheet. I don't have the
hardware, though, so I won't be able to test.

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de