[LinuxBIOS] romcc and epia

Ben Hewson ben at hewson-venieri.com
Tue Sep 12 22:03:04 CEST 2006

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Ben Hewson wrote:
>
>> Ok I have been playing around a bit and it appears the first line
>> after the #else is skipped
>> Inserting a blank line is enough to make it work.
>
> oh, bother! I wonder if this was it all along? If it is, then let me
> know how/where to buy you a drink of your choice :-)
>
> You did a darn good job of root cause analysis, btw.
>
> ron

ok I have now put an extra space after every #else in raminit.c and
things are better but still have problems.

the sdram_set_spd_registers() function and I guess by that I mean smbus
stuff is causing some problems.
the code will sometimes hang there or take 2-3 seconds to complete.

also having problems inside sdram_enable() where the code searches for
the number and size of ram modules, again probably the smbus stuff, but
just guessing, it sometimes hangs again.

assuming the code makes it past there it can still hang on the ram
verify, but never on ram fill.
not sure why that is. even if the ram is not initialized properly, the
worst that should happen is to get random data back surely ?

assuming it makes it past that it goes all the way to trying to boot my
kernel image from the hard drive. it usually takes 3 or 4 resets to get
this far.

will have to go through the smbus stuff next as I think the ram is being
initialized ok at the moment.
does anyone have some good links or documents on spd and smbus ?

anyway thats it for me tonight need to go have some food.