[LinuxBIOS] changes in decompress coming.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 15 19:25:22 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060915 18:55]:
>
>>The tricky part for me is still this. If I have four instances of X
>>driver, there's no way I know of in kconfig to set different params for
>>each instance. In kconfig, you say "I have an X", but you can't say,
>>"this is another instance of X, but this time, turn OFF this feature".
>>For example, take this:
>>config 8139TOO_PIO
>>        bool "Use PIO instead of MMIO"
>>        default y
>>        depends on 8139TOO
>>
>>You can't say "use PIO for instance 1 and don't use it for instance 2".
>>That's not doable in Konfig.
>

> And not in our current tool either. I believe we should go one step at
> a time.

It is quite doable in the current tool -- you can configure two
instances of an 8111 with different settings. Maybe I am missing your point.

> We would now do 4 options if we want 4 instances. Similar as you did
> with the compression algorithm

That was what we wanted to avoid. But we can do it I guess. I think it's
  ugly.

>  a) Kconfig for configuration issues
>  b) a tree parser for the rest.
>
> Remember: the tree parser does not set config options as
> -DCONFIG_BAUD_RATE=19200 but it creates the static device tree:
> a couple of C files.

ok.

> Otherwise the Cache-As-Ram enable switch would be a property of the
> K8 nodes in the tree.

no, cache-as-ram applies to 100% of mobos, right? I miss the point.

>the baud rate would be a property of the serial
> node which hangs off the superio which hangs off the south bridge.

agree.
ron