[LinuxBIOS] Using GRUB as a payload

Al Boldi a1426z at gawab.com
Sun Sep 24 06:46:40 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Al Boldi <a1426z at gawab.com> [060923 07:30]:
> > Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > > * Jamey <jamey at vodafone.net.nz> [060904 12:59]:
> > >
> > > The problem with grub (v0.9x) is that it makes heavy use of 16bit bios
> > > callbacks that do not work with 32bit LinuxBIOS. But you can use FILO
> > > as LinuxBIOS payload. FILO has an option to display a grub menu by
> > > reading menu.lst. Check out http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/FILO
> >
> > Grub has a chainloader.  Can FILO chainload?
>
> Load Windows? No. Windows uses 16bit interrupt callbacks. Not possible
> in 32bit LinuxBIOS.

I was thinking more like loading another bootloader.  This way, there is no
need to fuss around with user-interface, image-type, or fs-level access, but
instead just load a no-frills MBR.

> Have a look at "ADLO", it was designed to solve this problem.

Thanks for the pointer, but it looks like the sourceforge cvs is dead, and
ADLO seems to be some sort of a 16bit BIOS compatibility layer, when all
that is needed is a simple MBR chainloader.

I even looked into OpenBIOS, but it seems even this one tries to be another
bootloader on its own.

I am probably missing something...

Thanks!

--