[LinuxBIOS] IOSS Product Order / RD1-PMC4 for which board ?

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Wed Apr 4 13:46:14 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:54:44AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 06:30:01PM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > > That's bad. :( You flashed it on another board, verified OK but
> > > doesn't boot? Ouch.
> >
> > Well, basically the m57sli refuses to see the chip built into the
> > bios savior.  I just flashed an image into another rom chip, and
> > use that to boot LB (keeping my backup original rom chip). I can't
> > boot the m57sli from the pm49fl004 chip in the biossavior, nor can
> > flashrom see it when the switch is set to RD1 instead of ORG.
>
> My point was that since we haven't yet enabled flash writes on the
> board there is no way to program the BIOS savior PMC chip on the
> m57sli itself. It would need to be programmed on another board.
>
> Or do you mean that flashrom does work on the m57sli but only with
> non-PMC flash chips?

Let me summarize the issue with the m57sli-s4 and the bios savior:

1. flashrom *works fine* if you don't use a bios savior. Read and write. See
http://tracker.linuxbios.org/trac/LinuxBIOS/changeset/2564?new_path=trunk%2FLinuxBIOSv2%2Futil%2Fflashrom

2. flashrom *works fine* if you plug in a bios savior and set the switch to
'ORG', meaning you flash the chip you plug into the bios savior - tested with
ST parts (including the original part that Richard Smith desoldered from our
board for us).

3. flashrom can't see the pm49fl004 part that's built into the bios savior.
The board will also not boot if you switch the savior to RD1 (which is that
part) after writing the correct image into the bios savior on a different
machine. The bios savior works fine in our tyan-based systems.

I hope that clarifies everything!

Thanks,
Ward.

--