[LinuxBIOS] An idea, of sorts

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:07:52 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net> wrote:
> I thought about doing something very similar to this, but would there be
> any issue with the conductivity of the super glue? Especially if any
> spilled onto the pins? That was the concern that kept me from
> experimenting with it (and the inclusion of a plcc extractor with my
> BIOS savior, I was just too cheap to buy one). I've also tinkered around
> with using toothpicks to remove the chips...bad idea.

Super glue is no problem for shorting pins. If I am doing a
particualrly hairy probe point attachment, or some other rework for
debug, I will stiffen any mechanical nightmares with a  bunch of super
glue. I use the thick stuff, and then hit it with accelerator to
freeze it. Epoxy is good for this too, but super glue is instantaneous
with the accelerator and actually reversible with the proper solvent.

Also, I have had good luck with part 822154-1 from techni-tool for
PLCC extraction. The spring-loaded things are much more prone to
busting up PLCC pins. The simple Tyco extractor works pretty well for
hot-removal.