[LinuxBIOS] PIC mode or APIC mode

Lu, Yinghai yinghai.lu at amd.com
Fri Apr 13 19:54:52 CEST 2007

BLAST?

That code in the tree should work.

YH

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxbios-bounces at linuxbios.org
[mailto:linuxbios-bounces at linuxbios.org] On Behalf Of Beneo
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 10:48 AM
To: Peter Stuge; linuxbios at linuxbios.org
Subject: [LinuxBIOS] PIC mode or APIC mode

I was working this Broadcom bcm 5785 based reference board with
LinuxBIOS, I
have a NIC interrupt related issue, the eth0 DHCP detection always fail,
so
I can not get an IP address for that NIC. I did what Peter Stuge
suggested
to dump the /proc/interrupts. It turns out the Linux is using PIC mode,
not
APIC mode. (Linux report multiple CPUs, so I assume Linux took MP Table
somewhat correctly)

I checked chipset setting, the APIC indeed is enabled. I don't see Linux
is
doing anything for PIC or APIC, I assume Linux kernel will correctly
initialize PIC or APIC depends on MP Table reporting. right?

If anybody has any idea on why Linux is running at PIC mode, Please let
me
know. I will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Beneo

--- LinuxBIOS /proc/interrupts look like this, it is in PIC mode --
[root at localhost root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:      13538       1521          XT-PIC  timer
  1:          0          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:        302        153          XT-PIC  serial
  8:          1          0          XT-PIC  rtc
 14:       4729       1803          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0          0
LOC:      14778      14897
ERR:      21478
MIS:          0

--- When using factory BIOS, the cat /proc/interrupts looks like this,
it is
in APIC mode.
[root at localhost root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:        719       8393    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:          0          4    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:          5        505    IO-APIC-edge  serial
  8:          0          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 10:          0          2   IO-APIC-level  ehci-hcd, usb-ohci, usb-ohci
 12:          1          6    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
 14:       1433       5111    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 38:          7        112   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0          0
LOC:       9020       8869
ERR:          0
MIS:          0