[LinuxBIOS] m57sli-s4 and i2c

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Wed Apr 18 23:40:26 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to Stepan's perseverence (thanks!), the m57sli-s4 code is now
sufficiently merged into the v2 tree; the following is based on v2 checkout
2611.

I've reported before that there still seems to be something missing in the
i2c initialization for the gigabyte m57sli-s4 board. The symptom I was seeing
before was a very slow X start (30-50s delay) which can be fixed by adding

  Option   "NoDDC2"

to the "device" section of the X config file.

I tried playing with lm-sensors today, and sure enough, I can only read out a
couple of sensors (the ones controlled by the k8temp module). There is
another set of sensors on the SuperIO, which is detected by the
lmsensors-detect script as

  Found `ITE IT8716F Super IO Sensors'
    (but not activated)

The sensors-detect script is a perl script part of the lm-sensors package;
you can also download the latest version here

  http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/trunk/prog/detect/sensors-detect?format=txt

Under LinuxBIOS, the it87 module can not be loaded:

  FATAL: Error inserting it87
(/lib/modules/2.6.20.1/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko): No such device

Under the proprietary bios, the sensors-detect script detects the IT8716F
just fine. The it87 module can be loaded, which allows reading out of various
system temperatures and fan speeds, as well as manual fan speed control.

Any clues as to what is going on here, and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>