[LinuxBIOS] OK, I'm lost

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 07:09:37 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
>>> northbridge yes, southbridge maybe. The southbridge seems to be a
>>> vt8237 core, perhaps you don't need to make a special southbridge
>>> directory for it.
>>>
>> I'm rather curious, I'm wondering if CX700 = CN700 + VT8237.
>
> Probably.

Probably would be best just to have everything in northbridge/cx700, to
avoid any confusion. Either that, or we can probably hack the vt8237r
code to make it work for both, so there's not two separate sets of
nearly identical code.

>> If that's the case, CX700 should work with CN700 code
>
> They've probably tweaked it a bit. It's like GX1+CS5530 -> Geode;
> Very similar, but not identical.

Yeah, seems that way. The device IDs are almost all CN700/VT8237R +
0010. We'll know a lot more once we get working on this, and also once I
get the CN700 docs (which I'm still waiting on Via on, deadline's been
pushed back thankfully, but I'm still desperate for 'em).

>> Also, the device IDs are entirely different, and so are some of the
>> registers. I used epia-m as a starting point also, but it requires
>> a lot of gutting out and fixing up.
>
> Aye. I'll attempt an epia-cn port once cn700 is working. Maybe even
> in v3.

Good to hear!

-Corey