[LinuxBIOS] Instructions: GA-M57SLI-S4 dual linux bios

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Apr 20 17:09:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:06:57AM +0200, ST wrote:
> I tested writing to both chips and switching chips while running.
> Thus i verified that:
> * only one chip is written at a time,
> * both chips are writeable,
> * it is possible to switch the flash-rom's while running.

Nice!

> So i think everything except the question about the direct ground
> pulldown of the INIT# pins (with or without resistor) is clear that
> it works as expected.
>
> Concerning the pulldown: I currently have only a jumper connected
> to the chips

Ideally you would have both INIT# pins pulled down instead of up, and
then connect either of the two pins to the chipset INIT# output.

> I also tried to build linuxbios with a linux payload, but somehow
> the kernel bzImage was way to big to fit into the flash. Is it
> possible to fit a 2.6.2x kernel into 4MBit flash-rom?

That will be very tight, probably not possible without a lot of work.
(Maybe try out linux-tiny.)

But since you have a socket and are using LPC flash, you could try a
8Mbit (or even 16Mbit) flash chip and see if your chipset decodes
that large a window to the flash.

//Peter