[LinuxBIOS] Winflashrom -- Current Status

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:49:22 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 03:07:49PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
>> Moreover, direct port I/O was working flawlessly with the older
>> flashrom that I port to windows back then. I think the "DPC" trick
>> will guarantee the atomic operation and will give us the level of
>> confidence to do the direct port I/O.
>
> I am not at all confident about that.
>
> Roman did make a good point about IRQL but that does not eliminate
> the problem, we will still be changing hardware state underneath the
> OS and that is ALWAYS a bad idea.
>
> Please look into:
>
> http://www.hollistech.com/Resources/Misc%20articles/getbusdata.htm
> http://www.freelists.org/archives/wdmaudiodev/03-2004/msg00010.html
>
> for Windows 2000 and newer.
>

> I do think we should try to support NT 4 as well, and there the
> Hal API is good, so please don't throw the code away yet.

No, I'm not. I put the code into my own local repository for future
experimentation. Anyway, I've read both of the articles you mentioned. I
will try looking into the issue much further tonight. I may missed
something ;-).

The problem is HalSetBusDataByOffset is not working as documented in
MSDN :-(.

--Darmawan