[LinuxBIOS] Setting up ethernet - help

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Aug 14 19:27:05 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 12:54:04PM -0400, Joseph Smith wrote:
> >> Does that mean I would have to cat in a ethernet rom?
> >
> > Do you or the chip need one? Is there one in the factory BIOS or
> > in a standalone flash chip or none at all?
>
> I don't need an ethernet rom. Etherboot would take care of that
> correct?

For booting from network, yes. But maybe the hardware needs the ROM
for initialization? Where is the MAC address stored? Note there
doesn't seem to be any ROM even with the factory BIOS.

> But in the config above it is alocating 0xfff80000 for a PCI
> rom, correct?

Yes.

> My VGA bios is already using 0xfff80000.

If you would need one more ROM just change that address to match what
is in the flash chip. Add the size of the VGA BIOS and you'd have the
address for the next ROM image. But seems you don't need one.

//Peter