[LinuxBIOS] I have a push pin flash (Huzzah!) Now to get some more...

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Aug 15 23:07:01 CEST 2007

Hey Chris,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 03:45:15PM +0100, Richard Wilson wrote:
> Chris Lingard wrote:
> > Saw your post on LinuxBios, I am about to start work on it too.

That's great! :)

> > I have already a Gigabyte M57SLI mother board, and have built the
> > machine and installed Linux. I am using it right now.
> >
> > I am a system programmer but have no knowledge of engineering at
> > all
> >
> > I need to buy whatever you solder onto the motherboard, a guy at
> > the local computer shop can do the actual work.

Perfect!

> > I can get the 120K resister, the three pieces of wire and a
> > switch; after that you may as well speak Ancient Greek to me.
> >
> > Can you fix me up with what I need to buy,

Maybe we can help you find the components that you need. We should
have thought about putting up article numbers for a few suppliers
on the wiki page already.

I don't know much about shopping for electronics in the UK - can
anyone suggest good retail or mail order stores with online
catalogues? I'll have a look at it and suggest some parts.

> The ebay auction I'm looking at is at
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280143009151&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
> if you want to get some chips yourself.

Note that these flash chips do NOT work for the M57SLI board. Chris,
I'll get you a few part numbers for flash as well, eBay may be the
best bet to find those since not all electronics stores have stock of
flash memory. (Prices usually change too quickly.)

> I do know that there's a few developers on the list who are
> currently students, and I remember being a bit short of pennies
> when I was at university myself, not so long ago...

And it's a great help for development. We do need to think of some
practical way to handle hardware donations, there has been a few
offers recently, which is very nice.

//Peter