[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 29 09:50:57 CEST 2007

* Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> [070829 09:43]:
> I think there should be some limits to what hardware we try to support.
> I don't think we should be trying to support socket 7 hardware (which
> iirc were all the chipsets you named), because for the most part those
> PCs have either outlived their usefulness, or have done their job for so
> many years now nobody wants to mess with it.

If volunteers want to work on vintage hardware, lets not keep them from doing so.

I personally think we need to support more newer hardware in shorter
time to gain the momentum so LinuxBIOS can become the default firmware
on new mainboards that you buy. We can make this goal, and it has been
done in some cases. It's just a long way, as it was for Linux, too.

Supporting old hardware of course has an academical value ;)

> > hardware itself but the linuxbios framework. i don't want to spend hours
> > of code surfing just to understand how and where certain code sniplets
> > are called or how certain config files need to be written. a
> > documentation to the code is close to non-existant. while this might not
> > be a problem to long-term developers it drives new ones away.
>
> Agreed, I've been frustrated with this as well, even today. v3 should
> have better documentation, but we still need to bring up to par the
> documentation on some of the tools.

Again,... Since you still remember _what_ you have been missing and how
it works now, please try to provide the missing pieces before you get
code blind.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613