[LinuxBIOS] patch: extending LAR, and removing elf from linuxbios (it is not needed)

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 29 10:04:26 CEST 2007

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070828 17:47]:
> On 28.08.2007 17:26, ron minnich wrote:
> > On 8/28/07, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> >> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070828 01:54]:
> >> Yes, I would prefer something like that, too
> >
> > done.
> > normal/payload/segment0
> > normal/payload/segment1
> > etc.
>
> OK, so I was unclear. The idea was to number the payloads as well, not
> only the segments.

I think that is something that Uwe's patch will solve?

> We simply could reserve some space at the end of the header and use that
> for future extensions without having to change a version number. Only if
> the extension needs changes in earlier fields of the struct we would
> have to change the MAGIC.

Since lar is part of LinuxBIOS v3, let's just use the lar version that
comes with it, and bundle the tool with the image in a tgz, or at least
mention the svn revision in the readme.

Interoperability between different lar versions seems to be the quest
for finding the best method of shooting yourself in the foot. Definitely
a big issue and you can spend a looot of time on getting it done right.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613