[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 20:14:47 CEST 2007

Robert Vogel wrote:
> Very Strange.
>
> I didn't write the note attributed to me (below). It's not clear where it
> came from.

Heh, such are mailing lists.

> I'll comment on it though: It LinusBIOS is licensed under GPLv3, it is my
> understanding that there are good protections against Tivoization.
> Also if the code is fully disclosed I think that there is considerably less
> possibility of treachery. That's why I think it could be better at home.

Some of LinuxBIOS is "GPLv2", but most is "GPLv2 or later". But I don't
really see why there's a concern about Tivoization, perhaps I'm just
ignorant of how it could be implemented.

> The question that I asked...which I'm stilling searching for an answer:
>
> If there are one million computers running LinuxBios, are they dedicated to
> server farms ?
>
> ...or can they be used as desktop machines ? Looking at
> http://linuxbios.org/Products most vendors are
>  configuring clusters and it is not clear if anyone offers a desktop
> machine. The FSF says that it is working on one.
>
> Are there any vendors that will attempt a desktop machine with LinuxBios ?
>
> Bob

LinuxBIOS also runs on many embedded boards, for example the Linutop
(linutop.com) and OLPC "XO" laptop (laptop.org). There are also some
supported desktop boards, see the "Supported Mainboards" wiki page.
Here's where most of the 1 million comes from though:
http://linuxbios.org/News#2005.2F04.2F22_How_Many_People_Are_Using_LinuxBIOS.3F_Would_you_believe_1.2C000.2C000.3F

-Corey