[LinuxBIOS] PCI: Left over static devices. Check your Config.lb

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Mon Dec 10 21:56:56 CET 2007

Steve Isaacs wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:05 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
>>> e.g. Can I leave out the 18.x as well and LB will auto-detect like it
>>> did for node 1 (19.x)?
>> Those are northbridge register on k8 and on a 2-cpu system you need
>> them. But do you need them in Config.lb? You know, I just realized, I
>> don't know :-)
>>
> Using some info in the doc Uwe reminded me of could I say that
> northbridge 18.* is necessary because the southbridge is connected to
> it? Whereas, for my board, I don't need to list northbridge 19.* because
> none of the "essential" devices are connected through it? (disregarding
> RAM of course)

A devices needs to be listed in the config.lb if it requires more setup
than standard PCI initialization (resource allocation). Usually that
means the CPU, northbridge, southbridge, and SIO. Those devices are
usually needed to indicate the system bus structure(pci_domain) as well
as do any system specific initialization on those devices.

During the LinuxBIOS PCI/system scan process, if a device in config.lb
is found, the functions to do customized initialization are called via
the device_operations and the chip_operations structs.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer