[LinuxBIOS] [Fwd: Re: Patch file for Fedora 8 compile problems]

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:44:27 CET 2007

OK, to recapitulate, the problem is that on certain OS distributions
we need certain compiler flags set.

Two ways have been proposed to fix this so far, both having problems:
1. awk scripts in the makeflie
2. setting variables in src/config/Options.lb

It occurred to me this morning that the right way to catch the
distribution version and set build-time makefile variables is in the
buildtarget script itself. The buildtarget script is under-utilized at
present. So, Marc, do you think you could take a look at hacking
buildtarget? We could modify the makefiles to pick up an include file
called Make.distro or some such, and buildtarget could create that
include file. That way, we get our automagic build variable creation,
but it's done once, not on every make command, and it doesn't impact
the system in the way that that Options.lb patch did.

Thanks

ron