[LinuxBIOS] [Fwd: Re: Patch file for Fedora 8 compile problems]

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Tue Dec 18 05:19:09 CET 2007

Quoting ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>:

> On Dec 17, 2007 11:19 AM, Marc Karasek <Marc.Karasek at sun.com> wrote:
>> So as part of the buildtarget script you would check the distro
>> (possible using awk) and then set BUILDID_OPTION as an environment
>> variable?
>
> not quite.
>
> What I propose is that we modify the standard makefiles to do
> something like this:
> include makefile.distro
>
> The makefile.distro is created by buildtarget script in, e.g.,
> targets/pcengines/alix1c/alix1c, i.e. the build directory.
>

>> The only problem I see with this approach is it is not volatile across
>> terminal windows.  For example, you open one window run buildtarget in
>> it, this sets teh environment var properly.   You can then compile in
>> this window, I have checked by manually doign an "export
>> BUILDID_OPTION=-Wl,--build-id=none"  and commenting out the lines in the
>> src/config/Config.lb file.   If you open another terminal however, you
>> cannot compile in it,  the first window only has the environment var
>> set, the second window does not.
>
> correct.
>> And if you close the first window you
>> have to run ./buildtarget again.   The only way I see to make it
>> volatile across windows is somehow embed the option in the Makefile as a
>> define.
>
> exactly. that is my proposal :-)
>
> But instead of modifying the makefile, we *generate* a file (always)
> that is included in the makefile. In most cases, the generated file
> may only have stuff like:
> BUILDID_OPTION=
>
> But in your case, it would actually define that option. We can also
> use this to deal with the -fstack-protector mess.
>
> So one other function performed by the buildtarget script will be a
> new function, that of creating the makefilo.distro in the build
> directory.
>
> So we are close!
>
> thanks
>
> ron

I agree with you Ron. I makes alot of sense just to make this a
makefile option. No need to make things more complicated than they
need to be. But, I don't really know why we would need to add a
seperate build option file that the makfile calls just for one
function (assuming it would only be one function), unless your idea is
to designate the makefilo.distro file for future distro specific issues?

Thanks - Joe