[LinuxBIOS] SMBIOS tables or alternate.

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Wed Dec 19 01:35:42 CET 2007

Steve Isaacs wrote:
> Because of a need to be compatible with other systems I'm seeing a
> requirement to support SMBIOS tables. I did some quick searching and
> didn't find much regarding this subject on the LinuxBIOS web site or the
> source code.
>
> Specifically, the _SM_ pattern (SMMBIOS spec) needs to be embedded along
> with DMI blocks such as System Information (0x01), Base Board
> Information (0x02), System Encloser or Chassis (0x03) at a minimum. The
> commandline utility dumpSmbios (or similar) would be used to retrieve
> this information.
>
>>From an application perspective this is important information. The same
> application needs to run on platforms having different BIOSes -- some
> commercial, some LinuxBIOS. The hardware type and version information is
> important for maintaining and deploying the application. Because of
> this, the application needs a consistent mechanism for retrieving the
> information I listed above.
>
> Any suggestions or alternatives?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve,

I don't think that anyone has implemented SMBIOS for LinuxBIOS since it
is a "legacy" BIOS feature and not required to boot Linux. Also,
LinuxBIOS doesn't leave any code resident which would be required for
SMBIOS. Maybe a payload or a custom driver would be the way to go.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer